Tuesday, February 28, 2012

To paint or not to paint?

I came home last night with the intention of painting. I wanted to work on my still life, but arriving home after a visit to my moms, it was after 7pm. Dinner, spending some quality time with hubby watching reality tv, and more tv. I am beginning to really like The Voice. Of course hubby is not so fond of watching this-so off he went to retire to the bedroom and watch the races or some other show that interested him. I could have gone to my studio at this point, but was frozen on my coach like a rotting potato! I did wake up early this morning and after getting the coffee started, headed to my studio to lay down some watercolor on this still life I had in mind. The teapot and dish of fruit were still sitting on the table waiting to inspire me. The fruit is now in my lunch.

#9 Muddy Birches
I might as well keep track of the paintings from last weeks workshop, The Fall colors in the muddy painting # 9 Muddy Birches, came as an afterthought, in an attempt to salvage this dull mess that looked like a 10th grader did it. Looking at the thumbnail and the final piece, I am not so horrified by this. The subtle color changes and bright colors give it some life. The photo that inspired this exercise is from Sayen Gardens, but as I changed it so much, I doubt it looks like the same place.

#10 Palm Beach

My tropical beach #10 Palm Beach  was also done in the workshop. It is from a photo I took in Mexico from a trip our family took in 2001. Our last family trip, the year Jessica graduated from High School. The beach was in shadow, and so I had to improvise to add some vegetation and greenery. The Palm on the left was added to give some depth. I do like the tone in the sand and the hills.

No comments:

Post a Comment